New Directions in Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED), Design Out Crime and cyber-CPTED
Welcome to the Doc-Gram Newsletter - for the best of new information on Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED), Design Out Crime as well as cyber-CPTED (the emerging combination of CPTED and cyber-security).
1. 27 Essential Methods of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
2. How Safe is Your Place? Neighbourhood Watch Victoria adopts CPTED
3. New! 2-day CPTED for Community Safety Officers certified training in Bentley, Perth 25-26 February. $50 discount if booked before 17th Feb!
4. City of Canning activates CPTED for the Community!
5. List of CPTED certificated training available in 2020 from the Design Out Crime and CPTED Centre.
27 Essential Methods of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
We have identified 27 CPTED methods that from experience provide effective well-targeted crime prevention solutions.
Using these methods results in effective CPTED solutions of minimal cost that also reduce the risks and liabilities associated with adverse consequences, including increased crime, or contravening equity legislation and the like.
The 27 CPTED methods provide a sound basis for:
* Designing well-targeted CPTED interventions
* A professional CPTED process that minimises liability risks
* The CPTED review of proposed building developments
* Providing training in professional CPTED skills
A list of the 27 CPTED methods and a discussion of their use is available here.
How Safe is my place? Neighbourhood Watch Victoria adopts CPTED with new online quiz!
Neighbourhood Watch Victoria and Victoria Police participated in a 2-day certified Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) training at Echuca delivered by the Design Out Crime and CPTED Centre.
This practical 2-day CPTED training for Community Safety Officers is informative, practical and fun - the best way to learn!
1. If you are a Community Safety Officer you can use CPTED to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour effectively and efficiently. 2. CPTED is the most cost-effective way for local governments to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour. 3. You can provide CPTED advice to members of the public to help them reduce crime risks in their own homes, offices and lives. 4. You can build in crime prevention benefits of CPTED at almost zero cost. This is why the WA MRA, the NSW government and many other governments require CPTED in new developments. 5. YOu can reduce local government risks of litigation by using CPTED.
Who this program intended?
This course is intended for: Community Safety Officers Rangers Security Managers
What is learned?
The course comprises: Using CPTED in Community Safety contexts Threats, Risks and Vulnerabilities How to use 12 CPTED principles to reduce crime Crime Risk Assessments to save cost Working with members of the public Using CPTED site audits Targeting CPTED Repeat victimisation 4 ways to use CCTV Managing anti-social behaviour Reducing fear of crime Practical real world CPTED team exercise (desktop and/or site) Practical CPTED planning
What is included?
The course includes a workbook, certificate, refreshments.
A Certificate of Attendance (with individual's name) is awarded to those who complete the course.
2 day on-site training in small groups using small group exercises, presentations, group discussions and a practical exercise. Covers practical and theoretical aspects of CPTED for:
* Using CPTED in day to day operations;
* Developing and managing CPTED interventions; and,
Interested in reducing crime and anti-social behaviour at your home or in your neighbourhood? Chat to officers at the City of Canning!
CPTED is a key part of the City of Canning's official strategy for crime prevention, community safety and planning.
To build on this, officers and staff in Community Safety, Statutory and Strategic Planning, Architecture, Engineering and Policy recently attended one of four Introduction to CPTED programs delivered by the Design Out Crime and CPTED Centre.
Feedback was positive! "Everyone gained a good insight into CPTED" (Warren Alexander, Community Safety Liaison Officer)
We have delivered in-house certified CPTED training for many clients including: Local Government Agencies, Police, Public Transport and Neighbourhood Watch across States and Territories of Australia.
New! We now also deliver public CPTED programs open to everyone!
Public certified CPTED training programs
2-day certificated CPTED course for Community Safety Officers 10th-11th March at the Function Centre, Technology Park, Bentley, Western Australia. More details and to register here $50 discount for registrations before 17 Feb!
5-Day NSW 'Safer by Design' certified course(same curricula as Police 'Safer by Design' course). This CPTED training is an intense advanced program intended for architects, planners and developers wishing to be certified for CPTED review of development plans. Location and dates to be confirmed. For more details please contact email@example.com
In-house certified CPTED training programs
In-house CPTED training programs are available on demand and include:
5-day 'CPTED for Development and Planning Reviews'