New! CPTED for Local Government Officers Course
Essential information on changes in CPTED and Risk Management for Local Government Authorities (LGAs)
The CPTED for Local Government Officers course provides essential new information on CPTED and Risk Management for local government risk managers, planners, architects, community safety and rangers, and others involved in CPTED.
Why is it important to train or retrain LGA staff in CPTED?
CPTED has changed in the last 5 years in ways that are important to LGAs.
There is increasing awareness of the potential for adverse outcomes from CPTED. These adverse outcomes include the potential for increased crime, and negative social, environmental, health, economic and social-equity outcomes.
For LGAs, adverse outcomes bring increased litigation risks.
Typically, both adverse outcomes and litigation have been due to limitations of traditional CPTED guidelines.
This has led to a shift to evidence-based CPTED and the use of standardized CPTED processes and documentation. These improve CPTED outcomes for all and provide stronger litigation protection for LGAs.
Over the last 5 years, CPTED has also been extended into anti-terrorism, integration with advanced digital security systems (artificial intelligence face recognition, number-plate recognition, etc.), event management, and cradle-to-grave crime prevention of development sites.
The above have resulted in significant changes to CPTED, to new CPTED processes and methods, and rethinking the use of some traditional CPTED methods.
This CPTED for Local Government Officers course gives local government officers a complete foundation in the above changes as they apply to LGAs. The course is tailor-made for local government officers and staff in risk management, planning, architecture, community safety, security and other areas involving CPTED.
On satisfactory completion of this CPTED course, participants will have demonstrated skills to:
- Identify improved ways CPTED is best applied in local government contexts;
- Conduct crime risk assessments;
- Critically devise CPTED interventions for simple and medium-complexity CPTED situations;
- Use a standard CPTED process for simple and medium-complexity CPTED situations;
- Create professional CPTED reports;
- Identify CPTED litigation risks for LGAs and how to use CPTED approaches to mitigate them
- Apply criminological theories (Routine Activity, Rational Actor, Opportunity) with evidence to choose CPTED methods;
- Create and analyse Fear of Crime surveys;
- Identify adverse CPTED outcomes and how to avoid them;
- Use CPTED in anti-terrorism, event management, and cradle-to grave development situations;
- Use new CPTED methods and identify when to deprecate the use of traditional CPTED methods; and,
- Evaluate simple and medium-complexity CPTED interventions.
Full details of the curriculum are available at CPTED for Local Government Curriculum.
The CPTED for Local Government Officers course is a Certificated course.
Individual Certificates are awarded to all participants on successful completion of the course assessment.
All certificates are recorded on a central online register that is publicly available for access.
The course comprises:
- 2 half-day units delivered at your premises (up to 20 participants per unit).
- One free copy of Think Crime! by Dr Paul Cozens for the LGA, plus 50% off for Think Crime! for each participant.
- Individual certificates for each participant on successful completion of the course assessment. All certificates are recorded in a public database.
- The course also includes complementary access for participants to the certificated online Introduction to CPTED course.
Course fee $1997 +GST.
Certification assessment $197 + GST per person.
(Prices are for Perth metropolitan area. Travel costs apply outside this area.)
For booking or further inquiries